This is me with all of the girls. You can barely see my head because it's being squeezed by one of the girls. But I'm in the middle, about the 2nd row from the front. All you can see is my head.
The girls that came to Summer Jam came from difficult backgrounds and difficult home lives, and did I mention this was the SOUTH side of Chicago? Yeah and when I say south side, I really mean south side. We stayed with some people from church that lived in the town, Hyde Park, and the street behind our house was...shall we say a street we were NOT allowed to go near. So anyway, these girls are tough, thick-skinned, outspoken, blunt girls. If they didn't like you, they'd let you know--oh and they did! They were the type of girls that were told never to smile or cry because you were seen as weak.
So we ran a day camp for them for two weeks. It was a chance for them to get away from their crazy hectic lives and be children again in a safe environment where they were loved. We had various activities planned throughout the day and fed them lunch--which was for some the ONLY meal they'd get that day.
When we weren't doing camp, which ended around 3, we went into the city to tour. HOLY COW! I love Chicago! It is now MY city. We went on a Segway tour (amazing!), a boat tour, went to a White Sox game, saw Cirque Shanghi, went shopping, ate Indian and Thai food, went to Chinatown and Little India--got our eyebrows threaded in Lil India!, and basically just had a good time in the city. Oh and used public transportation for everything. Intense that's all I will say. Imagine, 16 white girls all walking down the street together in a predominately black neighborhood. we got a lot of attention and as such had to act a certain way for fear of actually getting hurt. Let's just say Chicago was an interesting, wonderful, amazing experience that I will never forget. It took me out of my comfort zone and it was amazing to be able to help those wonderful, adorable girls. I won't ever forget them.
That sounds so awesome and scary!! But if anyone could help those girls it would be you! I'm glad you had fun. What else have you been up to on your 7 week break?
ReplyDelete